1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup spinach, or your choice of greens
1/3 cup almond flour
2 tablespoons coconut oil, or bacon fat
- To roast the parsnips: Preheat oven to 425F.
- Cut parsnips into thick slices.
- Toss parsnip slices with olive oil, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
- Spread the parsnips into a single layer on two baking sheets.
- Roast for 20 minutes, then test for doneness. You should be able to pierce parsnip pieces easily with a fork.
- Keep in a sealed container in the fridge overnight, or if roasting same day, let cool at least 10 minutes before using in parsnip cakes.
- To make the cakes:
- Place 1/2 of the roasted parsnips, spinach, almond flour, eggs, and salt and pepper to taste in the food processor (you will be processing in 2 batches). Remove batter to a bowl and process the other half. Add this batter to the first batch.
- Melt 1 T. bacon fat or coconut oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Scoop heaping spoonfuls of batter into the heated pan and flatten slightly with a spatula. Let cook for about 3 minutes, then flip. The first side should be golden brown.
- Add another 1 T. fat before frying each additional batch. Serve parsnip cakes hot.