Savoury Swede Pudding
500 g swede
1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
3 tbsp milk
2 tbsp bacon fat
4 strips bacon, crumbled
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
2 eggs, well beaten
- Clean, peel and cube the rutabaga, and cook in boiling water until tender, then drain.
- While rutabaga is cooking, fry bacon strips and reserve 2 tbsp or so of the grease; drain bacon and crumble.
- Mash rutabaga thoroughly,then add all the other ingredients.
- Put into a 2 qt casserole and bake at 350°F (180°C) gas 4. for 1 hour.
- A pinch of cinnamon or ginger might be added.